Re: wait events and v$session_event

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:53:52 -0600

Ryan,

Waits are not necessarily caused by concurrency. It would all depend upon the event. For db_file events, waits may be caused by a number of issues. The first that comes to mind is that one block is read from the disk cache, while another has to come from the disk itself, which may also require higher seek times.

The real question is are these waits excessive in either time or number? A q&d calc on sequential_read shows an average of 473 microseconds/wait and 1877 microseconds/wait for scattered (multiblock) reads. How does this compare to what you can expect and/or normally get from your disk subsystem?

Daniel Fink