Re: 10g - ASM

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:41:02 +1000

Well, here is another point of view:

In a SAN, you may well be sharing that huge cache with a number of other "logical devices" (the LUNs) being used by all and sundry besides your database. And not all SANs have cache partitioning. So, you may well find that huge cache memory reduced to a vague recollection as far as your db is concerned.

As such, it may well be desirable to rely on the db cache itself to even things out. That means (along with a host of other options) that ASM may indeed be a good idea for you. Just define the LUNs - mirrored or not depends mostly on the conditions of your contract with the SAN provider - to Oracle's ASM and let it manage them and their space and how well that space is cached in the Oracle cache. Which hopefully won't have a Windows network device hanging off it...

> Does that make sense or am I off my rocker?

Of course it does, but as usual: it "deep-ends"....

> Any suggestions are appreciated. =20

Well you got mine. Based on prior experience of using SANs in shared environments, when ASM was not available. How much I longed for it...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au