RE: Recursive Function

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:02:41 -0700

Rob,
Point taken about the length of a block of code.

One way to look at it is if a block of code can't be seen all at once on the screen, then it is too big.

This is however an issue that is separate from the number of return statements in a function.

Jared

"This electronic message contains information which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the named recipient(s). If you are not a named recipient, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately."

"R Zijlstra" <rmsah_at_xs4all.nl>

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Recursive Function
Jared,

Two yrs ago I had to unbug some forms, which eventually led to pl/sql code in packages. No problem, but the original developer was gone, and she did not leave any documentation behind. (you know, one of these firms where they
get a blank stare in their eyes when you mention documentation) Problem was
that she also had the habit of making functions in the package that spanned
several pages. And had an X number of return statements AND also sometimes had parameters that were changed on return. Well, she could code nicely -not
a word about that-, but you probably can imagine the amount of time (and therefore money!) things like this consumes, when you have to make changes.
For precisely this reason I completely agree with Stephen Feuerstein. Of course the old rule that a proc/function may not be longer as one screen is
also a thing to adhere to.

(I must admit that it would have been not as bad if there had been documentation.)

Rob Zijlstra