Re: monitor column usage or index usage?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:35:11 +0100

What do you mean by 'working' ?

Column usage monitoring is enabled by
default. It doesn't "do" anything, it simply exists so that the AUTO option for generating histograms has some data of which columns might be appropriate for histograms.

If I recall correctly, the col_usage$ table is another of those things handled by smon every 5 minutes. If a hard parse of an sql statement has included a column in its where clause since the previous update to col_usage$, then the relevant usage column is incremented.

Oracle 9 has a procedure

    dbms_stats.flush_database_monitoring_info to force a flush (on col_usage$ and mon_mod$), so that you can see the effect in close to real time.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st

Thinking about which is better, monitor column usage or index usage?

<big snip>

So, this appears interesting, but I haven't got it quite working yet in my own schemas.

My question is: Does anyone know how to get this technique working (what am I missing?)?