RE: truncate a table with many extents

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:10:22 -0400

Jonathan, I agree with you in principal but I checked with my colleague and he agrees with me that in the past that truncating then dropping a large table resulted in a significant reduction in the time required to eliminate a large (few hundred megabyte) table. I have not done this for a couple of releases so it may no longer be beneficial. But then we no longer depend on dictionary management for most of our tablespaces and the sort tablespace is now of type temporary so the average level of demand on the ST lock is much lower for us than it once was. This should be true for most modern installations. If I can find the time and a system with some spare space I can borrow for a couple hours I will see if I can set up a test and then post.