RE: More spfile goodness

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 02:31:28 +1000

Whoever told you that from Support is probably not gonna win any friends in= side Oracle! :)

The SPFILE is needed more and more with new releases. Handling some of the=  automatic memory management and so on can't be kept across instance shutdo= wns without using the SPFILE.

I honestly can't see why people are so against using it.  I've had this con=
versation multiple times with Howard Rogers, and there is no reason I can s=
ee for not using one.  Even in Niall's case (which is clearly a bug) it's r=
ecoverable from simply by opening the SPFILE, highlighting the complete fil=
e except the binary first line and pasting it into another editor window.  =
Exact same way you'd need to do it with a corrupted pfile I suppose.  And o=
f course you can always select from the various V$PARAMETER views instead i=
f you want.

 =

Pete
 =

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
  [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Nuno Souto   Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 6:21 AM
  To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

  ain't it a GREAT feature? Who the heck needs ANOTHER binary   config file, Mr Oracle....

  Cheers
  Nuno Souto
  in sunny Sydney, Australia
  dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au

  To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org   put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.   --
  Archives are at http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/   FAQ is at http://www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html