RE: Wrong results using decode when db upgraded to 9205

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 02:59:47 +1000

The rule hint will still work but is unsupported.

 =

Pete
 =

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra [mailto:Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 11:26 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I just found that the query in question works ... In following conditions ...

  1. using case structure instead of DECODE
  2. by running the report with cursor_sharing=3D3Dexact or providing cursor_sharing_exact hint at statement level
  3. Running the select with rule hint.

BTW it is not datatype conversion issue, the actual decode statement is as follows ...

"and decode('C8','C8','237','0') =3D3D '237'" =3D20
It is becoming obvious to me that this is an optimizer issue. I'll be digging further ... =3D20

Raj

Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com=3D20 All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.=3D20 select standard_disclaimer from company_requirements;=3D20 QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !