RE: statement tuning ?

From: Ken Naim <ken_at_clubmom.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 23:16:35 -0400

I have seen tremendous improvements using the CBO and analyzing all tables in a Siebel database.

While using the RBO our OLTP type queries were measured in minutes and after analyzing and using the CBO, execution time dropped to several seconds; a 30-60 fold increase in performance. Our key tables S_Contact, S_contact_x drove most of the queries and had approximately 4 million records.

Once we were on the CBO we felt our hands were untied and we started to add function based indexes for case insensitive searches, partitioning etc so our execution time for most queries became sub-second. Analyzing Siebel's EIM_* data load tables decreased load times by an order of magnitude when dealing with hundreds of thousands to millions of records.

Siebel was not happy to say the least and they said they wouldn't support us, my company decided such a performance gain was worth canceling support so we got the performance increase and saved ourselves a lot of cash at the same time.

Ken Naim