RE: GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE in Oracle 9.2.0.4

From: Thomas Biju <BThomas_at_br-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:53:57 -0500

In two of 9.2.0.4 databases we see these TEMPORARY tables pop up when the D= BMS_STATS job runs. The tables are not dropped for some reason after the DBMS_STATS job is completed (we do analyze stale rows using the m= onitoring feature). Though we run the DBMS_STATS every day, these temporary tables pop up certain days only, and the table structures differ.

We have been manually dropping these tables from the SYS schema.=20

Jonathan,
Is the bug you were referring to related to the temporary tables being crea= ted during DBMS_STATS and not dropped, or generic bugs on GTTs...

B.

From: Mladen Gogala [mailto:mladen_at_wangtrading.com]=3D20 Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:14 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I believe that the guy who asked the question expected the table to be gone
when the session logs out, but it isn't the case. Global temporary tables are
nothing like the temporary tables from SQL server, which vanish when the session=3D20
is done. I don't think that creatig/dropping tables at the end of the session is=3D20
a good idea. I'm using GTT in several of my perl scripts in such a way that I first
load data into a GTT and then run a PL/SQL procedure to transform the data into the=3D20
required format, but I don't drop them. Most of those perl scripts are run from cron.
On 04/29/2004 01:51:13 PM, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

>=3D20

> There are a couple of bugs where Oracle fails
> to drop global temporary tables (Possibly because
> it gets their names wrong on the drop). Another
> example where SYS will accumulate GTTs is you=3D20
> drop and recreate bitmap join indexes.

--=3D20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, =3D
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you, =3D
oracle-l_at_freelists.org, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby =3D
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the =3D
information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is =3D
STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you received this transmission in error, please =3D
immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, =3D
whether in electronic or hard copy format.

This electronic transmission and any attached files are intended solely for=
 the person or entity to which they are addressed and may contain informati=
on that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.=
 Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use, including taking a=
ny action concerning this information by anyone other than the named recipi=
ent, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have =
received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender =
and destroy this communication.