Re: Needing to brush up on my internals -- FTS and DB buffer cache

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:24:36 +1000

While surfing Google for HP-UX questions, I ran across an Oracle guru page that says this:

"Remember, when Oracle performs a full-table scan, the database blocks are read directly into the program global area (PGA), bypassing the data buffer RAM." The article doesn't say what version of Oracle the author was referring to.

Hi Rich,

I've got a horrible feeling I know who the author is ....

Be afraid, be very afraid .

BTW, did the article mention "parallel" reads at all ? It's relevant.

Cheers

Richard