FW: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:11:32 -0600

Barb Baker: Do you want to tell everyone about the 3rd-party COTS application that demanded DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 4608? And the rationale behind that number?

Hopefully it's been migrated to a dumpster by now, right?

I believe Stephan Haisley has built a 9i database with a 7.5K block size (not for production reasons, of course).

There is an argument for using a (slightly) unusual size block if your main purpose is to handles large numbers of uniformly sized LOBs. Whether it would work or not is something to be investigated.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland http://www.index.is/oracleday.php June 2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

I don't think you can even create a tablespace with a blocksize that's =
not a power of 2 with Oracle 9.0 or higher, but I can tell you that an =
8.1 database with a blocksize of 3K and a locally managed autoallocate =
tablespace makes for some amusing ORA-600s.