RE: Invalid Package under SYS

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:27:21 -0400

It is not that unusual to find invalid objects under the SYS ID. Generally the objects fail into one of the following:

1- objects created by an optional dbms* script that is not ran as part of the catalog/catproc installation and upgrade scripts and for which the feature was either not installed or all the necessary optional scripts were not ran. Advanced Replication often fails into this category.

2- Left over but now obsolete objects from prior versions.

3- User created objects under the SYS schema that reference a v$, x$, or dba view that has been changed.

In all cases try to manually compile the invalid object and check the error messages. The messages should help clue you in to if you have a real problem or one of the above situations. For the above you can normally drop the object though in case 3 you might want to go ahead and fix the code. For case 2 you can scan the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory and the .bsq file for the object. Failure to find the object is a pretty good indication it is not valid anymore.

You can post a list of the objects and ask if people recognize what feature they are associated with.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --