any ideas for a workaround for bug 272219 (create trigger error?)

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:23:49 -0700

See Bug 272219 (Oracle 7.3 to 10.1 and all versions in-between), and Metalink forum discussion 149572.999. You cannot create a trigger on a table if the table has a column named the same as the column's data type.

e.g. I cannot create a trigger on this table because the column name is the same name as the column type

SQL> create table t ("DATE" date) ;
Table créée.
SQL> create trigger tr before update on t   2 for each row
  3 begin
  4 null ;
  5 end ;
create trigger tr before update on t

                                   *

ERREUR à la ligne 1 :
ORA-06552: PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated ORA-06553: PLS-320: the declaration of the type of this expression is incomplete or malformed

but I am able to create a trigger on this table (column name is not the same as the column datatype)

SQL> create table t ("DATE" number) ;
Table créée.
SQL> create trigger tr before update on t   2 for each row
  3 begin
  4 null ;
  5 end ;
  6 /
Déclencheur créé.

Any ideas for a clever work-around? I can't change the column name because the table was created by a third-party ERP application.