RE: Interesting question

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:22:45 -0600

Paula,

You should have been in Peter Robson's session last week: "Stay Alert to Your Data Integrity With Exception Reports". While he was addressing in-house development, the same concepts apply to COTS packages as well. Really well organized system and well presented.

Stephen

>>> Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us 04/23/04 12:52PM >>>
Let's say I am a DBA dealing with COTS packages and my COTS vendors = introduce modules into the system (in a hurry) that seem to be redundant =
- like - "don't we have that table already????" - "can't we use this = existing table???" - "don't we already have a stored proc like that???"

My answer was create a data dictionary/data model and find out about the =
modules as they come in but ensuring you do the change control into = production. =20

However, this was not the answer someone was looking for - they were = looking for some tool - like DBEXAMINER???? that would do this = somehow???? I thought that was my job - but heh - is there a tool like =
that? =20