Re: Wait Stats

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:42:48 -0400

The same effect can be achieved with the slow client. I know of an application whose users were constantly giving me calls about "slow database". Database was waiting for the SQL*Net data. I tested the network by using ping and it reacted as GB switch should: node alive, with 0ms response time. The application was one of those three tier monstrosities, which was using iPlanet and iPlanet-based pooling. The explanation that I was given was the iPlanet 6.5 has had some serious problems with pooling, and that "it was hanging". The problem was in the application server and a hanging client. Users were calling me because "database is slow today", uttered in the same fashion as "there is something strange with the Force today". The best thing one can do is to profile the client application and see where the majority of time is spent. If that is a .NOT application, you should look no further.

On 04/26/2004 10:31:36 AM, Niall Litchfield wrote:
> Mladen writes

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.