RE: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:02:35 +0100

hey someone reads my site :).

Ok better type this quite fast in case Laura discovers me doing work email on a Sat night :(

Wolfgang nails the myth well when he states that the index is accessed at the same time as the table. Nuno nails the more mature approach quite well when he states find out if you have io contention, and if so fix it.

A couple of other thoughts

  1. That presentation always starts with don't believe everything you hear, test it. Naturally that applies in spades to the presenter in question.
  2. Why don't people create 6 tablespaces by default. one for normal tables one for indexes, one for master tables and one for child tables (and another 2 for the associated indexes) I mean master and child are always accessed together right?
  3. I've never personally been convinced by the indexes need less protection argument - it is true that they do not contain data which cannot be recreated by a rebuild - but presumably they are there for correct operation of the system. A 10m row table always accessed by primary key would become somewhat of a resource hog if the key were lost. Recovery by rebuilding might be faster (who knows without testing) but you'd still want to recover sharpish.
  4. Time for beer and gloating as liverpool dump Man Utd out of the title race..

NB: Feedback on the website via the link is always welcomed.

cheers

Niall