Re: RMAN Strategy

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:26:01 -0400

What is "further then this". The use RMAN requires that the user that RMAN uses to connect to the database has the role SYSDBA. In particular, that means that password file must be set to either shared (RAC) or exclusive, and that the user (I use very imaginative username "rman") must be listed in it. Then you configure RMAN (controlfile autobackup, device type and format for your channels, redundancy, level of parallelism and alike) and cheerfully start doing backups. Repeat the procedure as many times as you have databases. When everything is configured manually (using "configure" command), then you can start using OEM front end. Configure in accordance to your backup strategy, available hardware and software. What would be further then that? Backing things up where no backup software has gone before? One doesn't need RMAN for backing things up on /dev/null.

On 04/23/2004 09:11:32 PM, Ryan wrote:
> This post isn't about how to use RMAN. Its about an appropriate strategy for using. From what I have seen alot of people like to use the following strategy:
> 1. Create an RMAN user in Database A on Server A
> 2. Create an RMAN user in Database B on Server B
> 3. RMAN on database A backs up up Database B
> 4. RMAN on Database B backs up Database A
>
> Does anyone take it further than this?

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA