RE: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a m yth?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:04:27 -0500

The one that comes to mind is a particularly nasty query from a Business Objects (aka "B.O.") report that runs against our OLTP DB. Did I mention that the vendor ported the schema from VMS RMS files, so there's no normalization (e.g. first row of description in master table, with the rest of the description optionally in another table) or RI or PKs?

Needless to say, the BO universe is butt ugly, as are the resulting queries. But hey, I'm only a DBA. I guess we don't need any sort of DW/DM. That 18-hour query can be run on weekends, or "We Can Just" throw hardware at it.

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA