Re: OCP - Hotsos SQL Optimization

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:01:28 -0400

Michael, I don't know anything about the mentioned courses, I haven't attended either of them. I do, however, believe that you should read Cary's book, if you haven't already done so, and get a good grip on the Oracle internals. This last item is a problem. I don't know your background, but a good understanding of VM systems and SYSV IPC, as well as a good understanding of locking, together with queues, hash algorithms and related computer engineering stuff is a must. You say that you want to be a "better DBA". What kind of a DBA? There are, essentially, 3 types of DBA people. The first type is so called production DBA. He is the guy who configures, monitors, backs up, restores, recovers and writes a lengthy daily/weekly/monthly reports about space usage, performance, security and alike. He or she also takes part in the DR (disaster recovery) planning. The second type is development DBA. One can think of a development DBA as of a developer on steroids. He or she knows oracle inside out and back, helps developers, optimizes queries, reviews application designs and writes automation scripts, usually in perl. He or she is also what Cary calls "a performance analyst" and is able to analyze performance, tune applications and solve all kinds of problems. This is by far the most frequent type among consultants. The 3rd type is so called "data modeling DBA", or, as they are also known, a "marketing DBA". They specialize in "normalizing/denormalizing, drawing pretty pictures they call "data models" and they follow all magazines and know all current marketing buzzwords. Their background is usually the one of a used cars salesman turned DBA. Not surprisingly, they make the most money of all DBA folks and sometimes appear on the national news, in the section about gruesome murders. If someone is murdered by using a book discussing UML, XML and Java in the modern IT environment and tortured by a Rational Rose CD, he was probably a "modeler DBA". The murderer is probably a CIO who got sacked because of following his advice.
You have to decide which type of DBA you want to be. Not surprisingly, the background needed for the 1st two types is one of a system administrator who knows databases and understands computer engineering really well. while the background for the 3rd type is the one of the world's oldest...OK, I'll stop here. On 04/23/2004 12:26:52 PM, Michael Milligan wrote:
> Is there a particular recommended order for taking PD101 vs. OP101? Do you
> recommend both? Now that the quest for my OCP is over, I feel very excited
> about actually learning about Oracle in ways that will help me be a better
> DBA!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Milligan
> 9i OCP
> Ingenix, Inc.
> 2525 Lake Park Blvd.
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84120
> wrk 801-982-3081
> mbl 801-628-6058
> michael.milligan_at_ingenix.com

> proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to
> which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
> recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
> you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
> to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.