Re: DBWn performs batched (multiblock) writes to improve efficiency

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if this will help, but (of all places) I was reading in Lawson's Oracle Performance Tuning book on pg 288 about the Microsoft Platform SDK, and the APIMon utility.

Supposedly APIMon, "One report shows the time and count for all functions called in the monitored application. A second report is like a debugging report, because it shows a trace of each call as it happens". Hmmmm....M$ right?...hidden api?...what functions?...low level I/O?...would have to prove it to myself first...

This was not on my immediate list of things to do, so I don't know how/if it works. I'm sure I have the MS software somewhere in my stuff, so if no-one else can do maybe I can run a test later. :-)

But, I like pd's recommendation about sysinternal as a possible source to check first. BTW, Lawson does _not_ mention any 'narrow focus' I/O disk utility like in Paul's post (very cool info).

HTH. Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢ http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash