RE: Symbolic Links on Sun Solaris 5.8/Oracle9.2

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:07:26 -0500

Wouldn't you want to softlink the directory instead of the individual datafiles? Perhaps Oracle9i uses a Unix (or is it POSIX shell?) "-h" test in addition to a "-a" test for the file to see if it exists? The only softlinking we do with Oracle is on the init.ora (and some in /usr/lib for Oracle on HP-UX).

$ ln -s not_exist new_link
$ if [ -a new_link ]; then echo "Exists"; fi
$ if [ -h new_link ]; then echo "Exists"; fi
Exists
$ touch not_exist
$ if [ -a new_link ]; then echo "Exists"; fi Exists

Try changing your softlink from the file to the directory and see if it works. If you've mixed softlinks with actual files in that directory, you might want to prepare to rename some files.

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA