RE: Isqlplus

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:54:43 -0400

I played with it on a test machine and can see it being useful however = its not implemented anywhere in production. We host all our servers in = a computing center and have to deal with the centers security managers. = I don't know a great deal about web technology and security but they = have db servers and web servers in different domains with a firewall = between them. If I understand the technology correctly isqlplus runs a =

little web server that allows web access to the host db.  I'm sure there =
must be some way to restrict access to authorized users. In order to get =
this thing working I'm sure we'd have to ask to have some ports open and =
I'm pretty sure they won't be receptive to having web access to the db = domain by this means.=20

We went round and round with the center when trying to troubleshoot = application timing issues. We wanted to move, temporarilly, the web and = application servers onto the db subnet. The answer was more or less, = "Hell, no." I don't understand the architecture issues well enough to = make a case for it and everyone seems comfortable enough with = client/server sqlplus here so there isn't a lot of impetus for change.=20