Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

From: <J.Polet_at_Robeco.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:42:18 +0200

Dick,

Thanks for your input.
We are also using Peoplesoft and I isn't it true that because Peoplesoft is using 1 user (SYSADM in our case) it is an advantage for my problem. Now I can use ORM te seperate the Peoplesoft application from another application in the same instance.

With regards to crossing schemas : Do you mean moving a schema from one instance to another and if so in what area would you expect odd results?

I will have a look at OEM for managing resources within an instance. My experience is however is that the Oracle tools are not always the best with regards to issues related to running mulitple instances on the same server. To my opinion it always looks as if Oracle prefers to have one instance on one server.

Jaco

 (Embedded image moved to                NL Telephone: +31 (0) 10 224 2045
 file: pic09374.gif)                             E-mail: J.Polet_at_robeco.nl
 Jaco Polet
 Corporate ICT/BS DBA

                      "Goulet, Dick"
                      <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>         To:      <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                      Sent by:                   cc:
                      oracle-l-bounce_at_fr         Subject: RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle
                      eelists.org                instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

                      20-04-2004 15:42
                      Please respond to
                      oracle-l

Jaco,

             Unless your application forces everyone using data from a particular =
schema to log on as that schema Resource Manager is not going to help = you. Resource Manager is based on who you logged onto the database as. = Wish it worked otherwise since it could then help us with PeopleSoft. = But since everyone using PeopleSoft connects to the database as the = PeopleSoft owner, we're stuck.

             Also, most of the tools in this area today set an upper limit which =
under normal circumstances a process/user should not exceed. Problem is = that when a user/process starts up these tools acquire a snapshot of how = the system/instance is loaded & then allow the user/process to run with = that. Therefore, even though you don't want a specific user to exceed = 25% utilization of the system, they will on occasion exceed that by a = significant amount & the software is somewhat slow at adjusting them = back down, because it may well be just a "spurt" that goes away by = itself. Therefore adjust your expectations accordingly.

             OEM's Performance pack will provide you insight into how much resources =
a schema is using from a particular instance. IBM should have some = performance management stuff, or else you can acquire it from CA(yeah, I = know bad thing to say). You want to measure instances against each = other, and schema's against each other within an instance. Don't try = crossing schema's between instances, you'll get only odd results, mostly = bad. (BTDT)

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA