Re: Isqlplus

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:27:13 -0700

> Isqlplus (note the "I" prefix for the web based product):
> Is anyone actually using this in their shop?
No.

> What are DBA reactions to this tool?

I tried it, didn't seem worth the trouble. The only reason I could think of to use it would be if my only access were via the web. But if that were so it would mean that I was connected via VPN and could easily work from a server with SQL*Plus installed.

Since 9i+ SQL*Plus can run sql scripts via a HTTP server, I've copied all of my sql scripts to a local Apache server and have even less need for isqlplus.

isqlplus is also somewhat limited compared to sqlplus.

> How does it stack up versus TOAD and the like?

There is no comparison.

> What are the issues/problems/concerns about it?

See above

> What do people think Oracle's future plans are for it?

No clue. I'm not sure why they bothered. Most likely one faction of the dev team wanted some some GUI sticky I/F for sqlplus and created isqlplus.

On the other hand the cmd line gurus just put in the HTTP ability the sqlplus now has. Much better. Command line and http too.

> Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

What, more?

HTH Jared