hp help...

From: Chris Stephens <ChrisStephens_at_affina.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:51:59 -0500

Earlier this week I attempted to install 9i on a production HP server =
(after

doing this a number of times elsewhere). The installer initially = wasn't
able to launch due to lack of tmp space. So I got the sys admin to = clean
out some tmp and attempted once more. Still not enough tmp. Sys admin cleaned out more. I launched the installer and found we didn't have = enough
space on /u01 to complete the install. I quit out of the installer and = went
to lunch. During lunch the machine began having problems. Any attempt = to
log onto any database on the machine resulted in errors indicating = oracle
couldn't spawn new processes. Then for a while we weren't able to = telnet
into the machine at all. Finally we were able to telnet in and = couldn't run
the simplest of commands.
 i.e. =3D>ll
=A0
ksh: cannot fork: no swap space

and:

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process  TNS-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded   TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
   TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded     HPUX Error: 12: Not enough space

Was found in the listener log.

Then the problem appeared to go away. Everything was running fine. = Then it
came back in full force...all the while I hadn't touched the installer = which
(in my mind) only confirms it had nothing to do with runInstaller.sh. =
The
sysadmins couldn't think of anything but reboot. Now there's all this hoo-ha about why I brought down a production server. I've pressed for = any
evidence that launching the installer, and corresponding tmp space = issue
(for at most 30 seconds) could bring the thing to a halt..........all I =
can
get is a 'it was your app!'. I plan to educate myself on perfview to = see if
I can get anywhere with that. But........can anyone suggest a quick way = to
look back and see what was taking up so many resources? Any ideas for finding the root cause? ...i can get around in Unix but I wouldn't = know
where to start to troubleshoot an os problem.

...also....i've always thought that tmp and swap performed independent functions. Correct? Our sysadmin claims that my issues with tmp = caused the
swap issues. Swap=3Dfor paging /// tmp=3Dworkarea for various apps.

Thanks for any help.