Re: Re: order of rows when selecting from table of

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 9:13:24 -0400

they guarantee it, but its not really accurate for full table scans. if you:

  1. create a table without indexes
  2. insert some records
  3. do not delete any records

Then the ordering should stay the same. I was on a project once where we had security IDs for various items. These ideas were not logical so you couldn't order on anything. The lead did not want to use a counter, so they just relied on selecting the following:

select id
from id_table
where rownum < 5

etc... worked ok for what they were doing. Though it was a pretty stupid idea.