Re: order of rows when selecting from table of

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:31:35 -0400

Chupit,
Oracle being a wonderful and concerned corporation will only guarantee that you will get the data out of the table when the select and other clauses are correct.
Normally the data is returned in the order in which it is placed into the table taking into consideration the fact that deletes and sebsequentl inserts can occur. To insure that the data is returned in the order you desire use the order by clause. As an example:
Table AX has a date field. Each day data is inserted into the date field. If data is deleted in the middle of the month and then later re-inserted into the table the output from the select would not be in date order unless the order by caluse is used. Ron

>>> chupit_at_tsi.lv 04/16/2004 12:33:31 AM >>>
Hello oracle-l,

I have custom type that is "table of numbers", does Oracle guaranties that when I use select from table(var) I will receive result in order of indexes? If not, than how do I get not only the values but also indexes of elements?

Thank you in advance!

Code snippet below:

SQL> create type num as table of integer   2 /

Type created.

SQL> var result refcursor;
SQL> declare
  2 n num := num();
  3 begin
  4 n.extend(10);
  5 for i in 1 .. 10 loop
  6 n(i) := i;
  7 end loop;
  8
  9 open :result for select column_value from table ( n );  10 end;
 11 /

SQL> print result;

COLUMN_VALUE

           1