Re: Oracle/PHP Issue

From: Byron Pearce <pearceb_at_tenure.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:36:26 -0500

Mladen:
I asked the development team what they were using and the reply that I got was "real programmers don't need an IDE".

So, I guess that means that I need to start getting fitted for my kevlar bodysuit. :-)

Mladen Gogala wrote:

>The problem is in the 9.2 client and oracle module. You are using Oracle7 OCI calls (oracle 6, really)
>which are not very reliable with Oracle9. You have to use oci_connect and oci_close instead of the ancient
>"ORA_*" functions. Besides, "ORA_*" functions (--with-oracle config directive) will not be supported in the
>next major release of PHP (PHP 5), only OCI8 will be supported. You should rebuild your PHP --without-oracle Unfortunately, despite the eerie similarity to perl, PHP doesn't have anything like DBI which would make
>database access uniform across the database world. May I abuse this opportunity and ask you which IDE are
>you using with PHP? I'm using Bluefish, but the fish is rotten. If you answer with "vi", the three of us
>(Smith, Wesson & me) will be very, very angry.
>On 04/15/2004 11:32:15 AM, Byron Pearce wrote:
>

>>All:
>>
>>We're having a situation with Oracle and PHP that I am hoping someone may have encountered and can provide some guidance on.
>>
>>We have an Oracle 8.1.6 database instance running on a RedHat 7.2 server. The goal is to make a connection to this instance from the web server, which is running Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.0 and using the Oracle 9.2.0.4 client. It is using Apache 2.0.46 and PHP 4.3.2 (oracle, oci8, curl, and dom modules).
>>
>>The problem is that an ORA-12154 is returned intermittently by the scripts. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. A simple PHP test script using the ora_logon and ora_logoff works fine, consistently and without fail.

Byron Pearce                         mailto:pearceb_at_tenure.com
Tenure Systems, Inc.                 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."