Re: RMAN Recovery without Catalog

From: H elp_me <good_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:53:21 +0000

Thanks Tanel / Jared,

I had already done the test to recover using Catalog using NFS mount. Just wanted to be sure.. what I am going to do..

I was a bit confused.. whether it stores all the information in control file for 8i databases also or has started doing it from 9i.

I am testing on 8i... I got all the steps in my initial mail from Documentation only.

Thanks.

Nikunj

>From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee> >Reply-To:
oracle-l_at_freelists.org >To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> >Subject: Re: RMAN Recovery without Catalog >Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:46:53 +0300 >>>My doubt here is .. how will RMAN get the files ? Where will it go and >find >>/read the files from ? >>It will read the controlfile you copied and get the backupset locations from >there - so it'll get the backupsets from the same directory name where you >used to back them up. It won't log on to your original host_A or anything, >you have to make this directory available on your host_B as well (using NFS >for example). >>And the database files will be restored exactly to the same directories as >they've used to be in the source database, but you can change the locations >using SET NEWNAME command before restoring in RMAN. >>Tanel.
see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar – FREE![1] Received on Thu Apr 15 2004 - 18:33:14 CDT