Re: CPU upgrade,how much CPU usage reduction to expect?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:37:08 -0700

As has been documented by others ( I forget where I first saw it - my apologies
to that esteemed colleague ) increasing the power of one resource could put
a strain on other resources.
eg. increasing the CPU capacity of a server can allow more jobs to run in the same time frame, or the same number of jobs can run in a shorter timeframe.

As these jobs all require other resources (eg. memory and IO) there will be an increased demand for these. IO latency may increase, swapping will increase, etc.

Some capacity planning exerices and testing are in order.

HTH Jared

"zhu chao" <chao_ping_at_vip.163.com>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.or

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        CPU upgrade,how much CPU usage reduction to expect?
Hi, list friends;

    A capacity planning job.
    Currently we have a server running 900MHZ*8 Sun Fire880. Peak CPU usage is 60%(User+SYS). We will upgrade our CPu from 900MHZ to 1.2G HZ. And we expect to see some CPU usage reduction, so that we can support more users and more traffic.

    And we will also replace a 450MHZ*12CPU E4500 with a 900MHZ*8 Fire880.     According to computer theory and your experience, how much cpu reduction can we expect?
Thanks;
Zhu Chao