Re: RAC storage options

From: Scott <oraracdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dan, I have seen RAC on both EMC and NETAPP. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. EMC is expensive but very good in my opinion and the smaller cheaper towers give you pretty good flexibility.

NETAPP is NFS and can be a great solution but if not setup properly can pose some interesting issues under a heavy I/O load. In my opinion I would see if you could get a test system in before you commit to buying NETAPP. NETAPP also has a SAN solution that is more expensive that the NFS solution but maybe cheaper than EMC. Have you looked and HP's cheaper SAN's? I have set up RAC on a MSA1000 and seen some pretty decent performance out this array. It is a SAN built on the SCSI JBOD concept. This SAN doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a EMC but has some good features.

My personal opinion is that SAN's and direct attached storage are better than NFS.

Scott

Hope this helps,

Scott

Do you Yahoo!?