Deinstalling via OUI

From: Adam Donahue <adonahue_at_opsware.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:27:23 -0700

Folks,

This is probably a ridiculously easy question, but how does one go about using the OUI to deinstall a component, e.g., Oracle interMedia, /without/ deinstalling all the components it depends on? Another example, which should not be required, I'd assume, by any other components, is Oracle Database Demos, but choosing this for deinstallation automatically includes such obviously needed tools such as Export. In some cases the database server itself is selected for deinstallation!

I suspect this happens because the other component somehow requires the one you want to install, and thus it's recursively included in the deinstallation list. But how can one simply remove those dependencies, and why are they there in the first place? Bottom line: I want to deliver Oracle with as small a footprint as possible. I don't need, for example, interMedia, or sample database files, or the DBCA, yet it seems these are "required" by other components. Is there a way around this short of modifying the inventory files manually? Are these truly required? Has anyone actually attempted this?

Adam