Re: deciding which query plan to use

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:04:28 +0200

Ryan,

  Somebody, I think it is Jocke Treugut, made you an excellent answer, enquiring about the elapsed time. Logical I/Os are indeed a usually excellent measure of performance, but they are not necessarily the final answer. I have seen a number of cases (especially with IOTs) similar to yours, much fewer LIOs and nevertheless longer to execute. I remember an excellent case were the faster query was, consistently on several runs, not the one with the best statistics (although it was far from being the worst one). Latches, concurrency, many things may intervene. I understand quite well that what you want to do is understand why, first of all; but I doubt that in all cases all answers are easily available. I don't think I have ever wasted my time trying to reduce LIOs. But at some point, you indeed sometimes find that the best statistics don't always give the fastest query, not more than the place you love best on earth is necessarily the one with the best 'quality of life' statistics (even if the correlation is usually high). Since my customers pay me to make their programs run faster, not to show them the best statistics, my ultimate yardstick is my wrist-watch :).

My 0.02 EUR

SF