RE: Storage Software/HW SNAP technology...

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:21:24 -0400

We've had HP's product for about 9 months. Had some severe growing pains (I/O hanging) and disabled Snap for about 6 months while HP resolved the problem. We restarted 2 daily snapshots (1 to mount on our fail-over machine for tape backup, the other as a reporting instance) about 3 months ago and haven't had a problem since. The snapshots are not persistant in that they are not full copies of the source and degrade over time, though we have had them mounted for 30+ hours. An alternative is their snapclone which is a persistant full copy. The snap process takes much longer than we originally expected, running nearly an hour (for 3 SAN arrays totally ~1.2Tb) and is wrapped around a normal hot backup. Our home grown code performed a controller-based mirror break in our pre-SAN environment in under 5 minutes. Granted the disk farm was somewhat smaller.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp.