Dataguard: Max Availability vs. Max Performance

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:28:42 -0600

I'm setting up a Dataguard configuration (Dell 6650's, RedHat AS 3.0, 9.2.0.4) and was curious about the statement in the Dataguard Concepts and Administration manual stating that Max Availibility "presents a potential response time degradation".
I am aware of why there might be a performance degradation, but I was wondering if anyone was using Dataguard with Max Availability. If so, have you seen any kind of degradation?

Are there any metrics around showing what the potential degradation might be? The primary machine in our Dataguard configuration will be the back-end of a hosted web site and will be serving up about 2.5 million page turns a month.

Is there any way I can determine what sort of performance hit will occur if I set Dataguard to Max Availability?

The customers on this machine are really anal about performance for some reason and I don't want to make'em mad.

Thanks,

--Walt Weaver

  Bozeman, Montana