RE: Warm Backup/Restore of 9.2.0.5 Temporary tablespaces

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:08:04 -0500

Ray

   A temp space does not contain any data essential to full recovery. If you issue ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE to create a "create controlfile" script, you will see at the end of the script instructions to recreate your tempfile. On recovery the controlfile still has the entry for the tablespace, but you must recreate the tempfile. I will admit this seems a little puzzling, but I have a test database right now that has a 5-gig. tempfile (don't ask) and it is good to avoid backing this up.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com