Re: RAC storage options

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:09:58 -0400

You must have physical disks shared between two or more computers. That, in particular, automatically eliminates NFS, CIFS (SMB) and other file sharing protocols. Netapp (used by our company) is not an NFS server, it implements locking and is a SAN implementation disguised as NFS. Operating system must be able to lock blocks on the device and prevent other nodes from accessing the same block. That is not supported by NFS3 protocol. There are several SAN vendors, not just NetApp and EMC. There is IBM, StorageTek, Dell, HP, Hitachi and EqualLogic and probably some others that I don't know about (however unlikely that might seem). All those vendors are more then willing to discuss RAC and offer solutions. PC and printer companies (at least according to Mr. Scott McNealy) are willing to offer aggressive discounts to undersell EMC, IBM and StorageTek, which are the biggest players in the field. IBM also offers agressive pricing with their Shark array and is trying to wrestle a chunk of the lucrative SAN market from EMC.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA