RE: Blade Servers

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:21:14 -0500

> But, if we're going to be talking about processor
> and server density

That was not the original question. The original question was packing databases in a given area, not CPU's.

After seeing the issue clarified that this was to be for test and development databases, then I am convinced blades are not the answer. Almost all of the time, development databases require about zilch point diddly CPU resources. But they ALWAYS require RAM. Your test database(s) determines your CPU requirements. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure your limiting factor will be RAM. As one who has been there, done that, I can say that you can take a 4-cpu server and keep piling on the test and dev databases until your RAM gives out.

And let's not forget: Oracle is licensed by the CPU, not by RAM.

So I'm about 98% sure (I'll leave room for a little doubt), that if I have 4 to 8 CPU's, I'll get more DATABASE INSTANCE density if those CPU's are in a single server with a big mess of RAM. Maybe the question should be: How much RAM (preferably contiguous, I think) can I fit into X amount of space.

The one, single remark I made about the E15K was just an extreme example to make a point if we are considering how many databases can I run in X amount of floor space.