RE: Blade Servers

From: Todd Carlson <tcarlson_at_tripos.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:00:30 -0500

All,

Thanks for the responses! The links have been great for information. My biggest concern was the backplane, but because this is going to be used mostly for development purposes and we will be connecting to a SAN, it shouldn't be a major issue. As far as cooling, our Sr. SA has the DC running so cold I have to ware a jacket in the NOC.

The general concept is that each project will get two or three blades, each blade being a 'server', one for build & regression testing if needed, one for development and one for quality assurance. The SAN, or worst case NAS, use is the key for performance and space savings. What is the point of using blades if we need multiple external disk enclosures? (I would love a partitioned E15K, but we have that whole cost thingy to deal with...)

We are also looking into VMware or a similar product for those projects that need more CPU resources than a single blade has. We will need be able to 'partition' the needed resources from other, under utilized blades. Then we have to get our product RAC certified.=20

Todd