RE: Blade Servers

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:54:09 -0400

Egenera is going to be very expensive - not only are they not really = blade servers, but they're designed more for generalized = high-performance computing environments. Oracle was chosen as a = strategy for them because they wanted out-of-the-box applications that = could show a value proposition on their infrastructure (RAC being that = application). (Full disclosure: my company competes with egenera from = time to time, so I am certainly not an objective party, though I have = spent a lot of time with egenera's product suite)

HP, IBM, and RLX all have decent 2-processor blades, IBM is the only one = with a decent 4-processor (don't get me started on HP's 4-proc), and the = only one with integrated fibre channel switching. If you're looking at = blades to save money for development instances, I'd recommend going with = NAS - the ability to share developer home directories, etc. across = multiple nodes will improve productivity and remove unnecessary = duplication of data, reducing the overall utilization.

Not to mention that, with FC running $1000/port, adding a bunch of small = nodes to your environment can significantly increase infrastructure cost = - gige has settled to around $150-200.

Thanks,
Matt

--

Matthew Zito