Re: Stuck session help

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

Questions for you:

Pt1) Does Oracle automatically kill the session after a timeout period?

Pt2) What does your application do after the 'sticking' followed by the Oracle timeout?

I've seen 'sticking' applications (connected via JDBC), but I was not aware of the Metalink 'bug' discussed here. Our application workaround was a big problem because the 'connection object' did not have a robust way to recover after 'sticking' nor after Oracle's timeout, and therefore the application process failed. We attributed our 'sticking' to a poor network, because it only seemed to happen in one of our client buildings, but not to other users of the web tier. Maybe we missed the Metalink 'bug', I don't have any way to know, now.

Regarding my Pt2 question, I remember researching Metalink (it was over a year ago, sorry) and finding that Oracle's TOPLink product had a 'connection object' designed to perform a robust connection recovery. It is possible to design something that 'reconnects' if there is some type of failure, but 'usually' developers don't build connect objects with this much detail in error handling. The Metalink discussions of this were helpful.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do you Yahoo!?