Re: Oracle 32-bit to 64-bit (AIX)

From: <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:23:09 +0000

Tracy,

I've not actually done this but I did a fair amount of research on a year or so ago as I thought I was going to have to do it. From what I can remember you can do what you suggest but I THINK you will need to install 8.1.7.4 on the AIX 5.1 machine first.
Also I'm aware that there are a number of complications regarding 32 bit vs 64 bit as far as AIX is concerned. This MAY mean you need to run AIX 5.1 in "32 bit" mode to allow the 8.1.7.4 install, now don't worry you can still run 9.2.0.4 at the same time even though it's 64 bit. This seems wrong but trust me you can do it, there are a number of notes on Metalink that talk about exactly this.

HTH and that I've not raised too many more questions in your own mind.

Chris

Quoting Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com>:

> Hi,
> We are looking to "copy" an 8.1.7.4 database on a AIX 4.3.3 server to a
> server running 9.2.0.4 on AIX 5.1. Does anybody have any experience doing
> this? Can we mount an 8.1.7.4 32-bit database on the new platform and
> then upgrade?

Chris Dunscombe

chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/