RE: how good is oracle tech support?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:57:37 -0400

Ian,

Yeah, and there's a major storm brewing when an analyst who's thinking "Is this guy going to pass the 'I'm not an idiot' test?" meets a grumpy, stressed-out customer who's thinking "@#$@#$@, if I get one more analyst who treats me like I'm an idiot, I swear I'm gonna throttle him!"....;-)

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

From: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com [mailto:Jared.Still_at_radisys.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 12:30 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

> There are two ways to look at a "trivial request":
>
> 1- You should not need to open a tar to find the answer
Indeed. It is a good idea to do a fair amount of research before opening a tar. You can see if other people have had the same problem, and how they may have resolved it.

You will also become much better educated about the problem you are trying to solve.

Do your research in MetaLink, the documentation and with search engines. I've been favoring teoma.com lately for oracle searches.

MetaLink is at times underrated I think. It is really quite good. Compare it to some other vendor support sites. Veritas for instance has a lot of documentation and information available on their web site, but it is rather difficult at times to find what you need.

Also take advantage of the RDA tool. It can be quite useful in tracking down some pesky problems.

Jared