RE: RE: how good is oracle tech support?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 06:25:54 +1000

> With the point 1, I couldn't agree more. There are people, even on this l=
ist,
> who are dangers for the cup holders on their machines and shouldn't go ne=
ar a computer.
> Giving internal information to people like that would be like giving a lo=
aded gun
> to a 5 years old: a recipe for disaster.

Yep, but like Mark, I won't name names. :)

> With point 3, I disagree. There are many "Oracle Internals" books, some b=
y people who have
> worked for Oracle and the best one from the guy who has never worked for =
Oracle (Steve =

> Adams).
> Internal information is accessible to anybody, who knows the methodology =
(block dumps, =

> system dumps,
> trace files for the events 10053 and and 10046). =

Sorry, can't agree with you on this one.  For starters, I know of NO-ONE el=
se in the world like Steve.  I'm sure they must exist, but you've just got =
to admit that Steve is an absolute rarity in his ability to work out what h=
e does given the level of access he has.  And for seconds, as I'm sure Stev=
e would agree, there are times (admittedly not too many, but they do exist)=
 where Steve publishes something that is in fact wrong.  Of course, he's ve=
ry up front about all of what he says, usually prefacing it with something =
along the lines of "From what I've found from testing, this is what appears=
 to be happening", but there is no doubt in my mind that there is material =
available internally that you could NEVER get without access to the source =
code itself.  And that, of course, is something very few people get access =
to.

> Some of the discussions on this list are
> so technically detailed that the next level would be to write the actual =
code. I have personally
> done some rather nasty stuff to reveal oracle internals, but am not incl=
ined to talk about that
> in public. In other words, there isn't much that competitors couldn't fin=
d out about Oracle.
> Second, most of the interesting so called "internal documents", are about=
 bugs. That, my =

> friend,
> should not be a big secret, at least not for the Oracle's customers, as i=
t is frequently =

> extremely helpful and necessary information.

Depends on your definition of the word "interesting" I suppose. But again,=  I would have to disagree with you on this one.

Pete