Re: 8174 32 bit to 9204 64 big

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:09:59 -0400

You may be right. Tim is saying 32 to 64 bit conversion. What about 64 to 32 bit conversion alongwith change of platform? Is there any viable option other than export and import regardless difficulties of size and bug handling?

Will datafiles will be converted? My point was export and import with change of platform. Besides in my senrio it was moving from 64 bit database to 32 bit database as well.

With my long experience with Oracle since ver 4 and 5, I never trusted export as the best solution although they have improved a lot and famous message' abnormal end of file' while import has gone. away now.

Regards
Rafiq

From: "M.Godlewski" <mcgodlewski_at_yahoo.com> Reply-To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: 8174 32 bit to 9204 64 big
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Tim. Newer features with export import may not work!

For example export/import of XML DB xml documents/tables with registered schemas for version 9.2.0.4 at this time doesn't work correctly. According to Oracle support, I have to re-register the schema and then try an import of the tables. I'm upgrading to 9.2.0.5 to see if it's fixed. If not development will do a bug fix on the later patch version 9.2.0.5. Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com> wrote:If change of platforms is not part of the task, then I strongly disagree.
Export/Import is riskier and slower.

Upgrading the software and performing the 32-64 bit update according to the plentiful documentation on Metalink is faster and safer than exporting and importing. It's really the only viable option for a database of any size.

on 4/2/04 10:37 AM, M Rafiq at rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I think there should not be any disagreement on this. As suggested by
Dennis