RE: cost

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:46:33 -0400

Yes, the CBO will ALWAYS choose the plan with the lowest cost. If you have SQLs where higher cost plans are actually more efficient than lower cost plans, then you ought to ask yourself why. One solution is always to simply add hints and convince the optimizer to do what you want, but, a better long-term approach is probably to try to understand WHY the CBO thinks a particular plan is lower cost than another and then give the CBO better information so that it can more accurately estimate plan costs.

Ways to do this may include:

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company