RE: Oracle iFS

From: Weiss, Ben <bweiss_at_kpmg.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:44:16 -0600

Hi Tanel,

I sent much of the below to you in response to your offlist email. As I mentioned, we are also considering scaling up our implementation to handle terabytes of data, although fortunately not quite as many concurrent users! I welcome any discussion from the larger list regarding one or more of the following:
1. Using BLOBs as opposed to BFILE. (Although I'm not sure whether BFILE would work with the API I mention below)

2. Tuning RETENTION, CACHE, CHUNK SIZE for a particular system's needs.
3. Coming up with test scenarios for stress testing LOB behaviour.
4. Anticipating the migration/maintenance concerns that occur with a
Terabyte sized database. A large percent of the data will be within a single LOB segment.
5. Strategies for archiving old documents.

Regarding your specific questions below: 1. About 400 database connections. These connections are managed by a Websphere application server via pooling. I'm not sure of the total number of end users logged into the application server at any one time, but I can find out.
2. CACHE: NOCACHE
3. Redo: About 10 MB every 2 minutes.

Also
Oracle version: 9.2.0.4