Oracle 9.2 and Legato Backup Performance Problem

From: Daiminger, Helmut <HELMUT.DAIMINGER_at_WWK.DE>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:33:55 +0200

Hi!

We are trying to optimize our backup strategy to tape. Therefore we made some tests yesterday and we found out that, although we are allocating three channels in RMAN for the backup, that they all write to the same physical tape in the StorageTek Library (it has 8 tape drives in it).

For optimal perfomance the three channels should write to three tape drives. How can I make this happen?

>From an Oracle point of view, all I can do is allocate three channels. But
how can I make Legato to have each channel write to a dedicated tape drive?

Does anybody have experience with scenarios like that?

This is Oracle 9.2, Legato 7.1 on HP-UX 11i.

Thanks,
Helmut