using controlfile to crash instance?

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:17:16 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone used the practice of placing a controlfile (in this case, 4 of them) so that if either an online redo log group member's partition is offlined, or an archived redo log destination's partition is offlined, that the instance is crashed?

This may sound daft at first, but sometimes you're just better off with a crashed instance than a corrupt database. Trust me on this one.

Ultimately, better monitoring will handle any filesystem oddity. For now, I just want the instance down if anything happens.

thanks.

Paul

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html