RE: Moving LOBs of a particular partition to a new tablespace

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:47:14 -0600

Philip

   I think I found what you are referring to. Take a look at the following. I didn't want to post material from asktom, but I could only find this posting in Google's cache section.

>From asktom.oracle.com

Move LOB of partition table August 14, 2003 Reviewer: Braniko from Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro

Hi,

The above example works fine with nonpartition tables. What if we have partition
table with LOB column?

After execution

ALTER TABLE PartitionTableName

   EXCHANGE PARTITION PartitionName WITH TABLE NonPartitionTableName    WITHOUT VALIDATION; And

ALTER TABLE PartitionTableName

   MOVE PARTITION PartitionName TABLESPACE NewTableSpace

LOB segment and LOB Index segment still exist in tablespace where nonpartition
table was created.

ALTER TABLE PartitionTableName MOVE LOB (LobColumnName) STORE AS (TABLESPACE

NewTablespace)

Gives error: ORA-14511: cannot perform operation on a partitioned

Followup:
<tablespace_name> )

you sort of have to specify the partition you want to operate on.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com